About Me

My photo

Louise's current project is to make all her sweet romances available on the internet.
 
 
Look out for her new Regency romance, Regency Fortune, coming soon!
 

 

Tuesday, 17 May 2011

How to make Simple Book Covers for Kindle

Nobody liked the flower covers so I am now looking for photos with people on. The heroine of this romance is an eco-warrior, and there is a scene that takes place in a tree house, so I thought it would fit the mood of the book.  I do not know why this photo distorted, but once I've found out how to fix that, the process of making a book cover for Kindle seems to be:
  1.  Find a royalty free photo that allows commercial use (this photo is from http://www.sxc.hu/)
  2. Then load a free online software editor and find the poster function (this one is made by Phixr)
  3. Change the poster colour to suit the mood, and hey presto - a cover!
PS: (Feb 2012) - I think you can see from the book covers that I'm currently using that it's possible to do much better!
1. I now only use photos from Morguefile because they are all free to use for commercial use - other sites have some restrictions and it's so disappointing when you find the perfect photo, do all that clicking, and then find you can't use it!
2. I have learnt to understand layers. All I do is have one layer with the photograph, another with the title, and a third with my name. You can do this in a free programme such as Gimp. I use Phototshop.

    1 comment:

    Sophie said...

    Loved the post. Will buy the device and I know it will be a good one. Can you help me find good Kindle covers?