Sunday 26 February 2012

Cinderella Suffers in Luxury & Geezers Shouting in a Small Place

I have just read Twilight by Stephenie Myers and it made me think that there are two literary genres (or are they themes?) that I've never seen discussed, or named, yet I'd say they are the most popular of all.

For women, it's Cinderella Suffers in Luxury. Bella is a good little girl, and she cooks and washes the dishes for her daddy. Edmund (and sometimes his sister) FORCE her to go to parties, drive posh cars and wear nice clothes. She cries a lot and feels pain all the time. See what I mean? Danielle Steele was brilliant at this type of novel. It's usually a sub genre of romance.

For men, they like to get into a small enclosed area such as a submarine, a prison or a court room and shout at each other. I call this (think cockney accent) Geezers Shouting at each other in a Small Place.  But is it a plot, a theme or a genre, because it pops up in all kinds of settings? I adore SF - but not when it's Geezers Shouting at each other in a Spaceship.

Alas, I've not patience to write a Cinderella Suffers in Luxury story. I'll never be rich!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 3gs! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Carry on the fantastic work!

Take a look at my site cybercommune.bretagne.fr